Tuesday 9 December 2014

Travelling round the world 101 - en route to Colombia

Wednesday, 01.16am
Flying over Cuba (I think) or maybe Bahamas. Somewhere over the Caribbean anyway. The sky outside the window is dark with a promise of pale on the horizon line. I don’t think you can beat the feeling of flying 800,000 ft above our pretty blue green planet watching a slice of dawn creep its way over the clouds surface. Feeling like you’re on the brink of the world and the only person awake.


01.26am
Ahh wow we’ve just flown over (and slightly through) a lightning storm. Flown a total of 7667km from Madrid so far. This is incredible! To see the clouds lit up from the inside, pearly blue white. Flashes of light illuminating the centres and tingeing the cloud´s outer edges with a smoky pale blue. Frost has formed on the outside of my window, crystallised mini frost flakes that slowly melt as we plummet towards the next destination - L´Havana, Cuba. The time is now 20.55 Cuban time, 01.55 for me. I´m feeling pretty sleepy : )

Wednesday, 12.31pm (Panamanian time)
We´re gliding along through peaks and troughs of fluffy white cloud mountains. They really do look like candy floss Simpson clouds. Wisps float overhead whilst opaque looking rounded turrets bob majestically past the window. Below faint through a creamy layer of haze I can see Colombian soil. I`ve almost arrived. My ears pop on their own accord as the plant wing dips slightly revealing shallow rolling hills, light brown earthy rock largely covered with dark green deciduous trees. Small towns begin to appear, pale roads snaking through and into the distance. Large expanses of thirsty looking fields dappled by the blobs of cloud floating above them. I pray in faith for a safe arrival.

12.46pm
A new land to explore. I´m longing to feast my eyes on every inch of this land. Touch down. A sudden roar of air through the turbines makes me jump slightly (I am seated just behind the planes wing on an exit row – extra leg room!) we’re taxiing to a stop. The air attendant informs us in fluent coherent Spanish and then rather broken English not to take off our seatbelts… and that it has been a pleasure to have us on board. We pass two men pushing a full-sized helicopter on wheels by hand into a nearby hanger. I love Latin America.

No comments:

Post a Comment