Tuesday 3 February 2015

Travelling round the world 101 - Copan Ruinas, Honduras to Tikal Ruinas, Guatemala

Wednesday, 18:52, internet cafe in Copan Ruinas, Honduras
The Copan Ruinas were incredible, dampened only somewhat slightly by the fact that my lower legs got bitten half to death by mosquitoes on the first night we were there. Strange, beccause in the previous 3 months of travelling I had been bitten in total maybe 10 times. My feet had been near a small hole in the mosquito net tacked over the window overnight, and by morning my calves were completely red with bites. There was even a diagonal line across them where my legs has obviously come out from under the sheet. So I set out to explore the ruins with socks pulled up to my calves (a really good look). As we both spoke close to fluent Spanish we were able to choose a local Mayan guide who was absolutely fascinating, he took us to smaller parts of the ruins buried deep in the jungle and after seeing my legs gave me a few leaves to rub on them which stopped the itching at once. He told us so much about the history of the incredible buildings, local lore and the Mayan people themselves. The beds for the ancient Mayan nobility were tiny, they must have all been around 4 feet tall.


                                                 *          *            *            *            *

Wow I have written far too much to type home. Ok enough for now. Remind me to write about the journey, over turned lorry, puppy in a sack, santa rosa and motorbikes, oo! and loud lovebirds squawking.

*          *            *            *            *

Terrifying I shall be home in under 5 weeks! A very strange concept. I am currently in Antigua, Guatemala. This is the first country to make me feel slightly homesick, or in any case a certain longing for my home land. We were driving on a rather bumpy mini shuttle bus type thing from La Flores (contact point for the rather incredible Tikal Ruins) to Copan and then to Languin (home to Semuc Champay...the most incredible natural pools you will ever see in your lives...Google it! Or see below :) 


Anyhoo, the landscape could of almost been in the Lake District. I am not kidding. Green rolling hills, jersey cows, lush vegetation.

So how has the last month been spent? Copan Mayan ruins, horse back riding through the mountains, eating freshly caught fish from a 22km lake, ferry rides, WRECK DIVING in Utila, I am now PADI Advanced qualified woop, I plan to go back next summer to do my Dive Master methinks, soooo love diving its incredible, a totally different world. Livingston, jungle treks, river cruises, a lot of local food trying, sunrise tour to the Tikal Ruins woooooeeeeeee words fail me. We awoke at 3am to pile into a minibus, by 05.30 I was seated on top of temple IV watching the jungle wake up around me. Kinda puts things into perspective huh? 



Which brings me to...Languin, Guatemala

No comments:

Post a Comment