Monday 6 July 2015

Checked in, Vientiane, Laos

I have to say I was very relieved to check in and take a much needed shower. The private bedroom was clean, quiet and comfortable with AC, large wardrobe, a TV (not that I would be using it), a fridge and en-suite bathroom. All for a tenner a night with a yummy free breakfast included. I then laid on the bed for 30 minutes with my feet in the air as they were somewhat swollen from the 14 hour flight, even though I’d done my best to get up and move around. After unpacking a few things I decided to walk to the Mekong River and stretch my legs whilst walking past the local nightly riverside market. I deliberately didn’t take my camera as I wanted to soak everything up unobstructed. As much as I love taking photos I think that sometimes the photo taking can get in the way of just being in the moment. Also, the first time you visit somewhere I think it’s good just to allow your senses to soak up everything without your brain having to think about camera angles etc.! Plus, even though my cameras are gradually getting larger and/or more expensive as I get older, no photo cannot accurately describe what it was like actually being there. Sometimes it’s best to just carpe diem.


Upon arriving at the (raised concrete enforced) river bank I had a slight sudden shock. Where was the river? I had arrived at the beginning of May, so at the end of dry season. It was clear by the contours of the landscape of the river bed that by half way through rainy season the river would become a wide vast flowing rampage of water hurtling its way southwards towards the Cambodian border and then beyond to Vietnam and the Ocean. Currently, from where I was standing, over half to two thirds of the enormous river bed was a dry dusty sandy yellow, only interrupted by small irregular fields of some sort of long green grasses and bulrushes and the occasional large pool of water. The ribbon of water was just visible through a late afternoon haze coasting along the far bank. The diminished river was ebbing its way slowly along the opposite bank, at least it looked slow moving from a distance. I couldn’t see any boats moored or otherwise so I could only presume that the water must be rather shallow.


On a raised sand bank in the middle of the ‘river’ sat several large sand sculptures. As I watched, a jeep and several motorbikes were winding their way towards them from about 500 meters further down the river from where I was standing. My stomach was beginning to growl with hunger so I promised myself I’d come back the following evening for a closer look.



No comments:

Post a Comment