Wednesday 28 January 2015

Travelling round the world 101 - a la Quepos

Thursday 12:14 on the bus to Quepos
I do not what to think about how many times I have taken this bus before. The twists and turns of the road become more familiar to me with every passing. The scenery is so beautiful its indescribable. A sense of peace descends as the road dips and twists revealing ever deepening green rolling hills and valleys. A blue brown ribbon of a river snakes in-between cutting its path slyly through the descending trees and shrubbery. 


Thursday, one week later, 11:24 Coco´s, Manuel Antonio
My friend (who also lived here before) and I ascend up the steps to be almost knocked over by the multitude of hugs and exclamations. Esta aca un otra ves! Ahhh que bueno! Como estas? Todo bien? Como esta Inglaterra, muy fria verdad? (errr si) Ahhh pura vida! Que bueno a verte! etc. We felt so loved! It was lovely to see so many friendly familiar faces almost as if they knew we were coming but they couldn't have possibly as we only told one of our local friends yesterday. 

After all, one of the main set backs with travelling, especially if you are moving around quickly from place to place is that you often don´t get emerged into the real local culture and way of life and/or get to meet many. (Not that going to CoCo´s - a local bar - on a Thursday night gives anyone a true picture of Costa Rican culture but oh well it's far better than hanging out with tourists). We went to the beach for about an hour earlier (it has to be said my favourite beach in the whole world) but there weren´t many people around as it had clouded over and rain was fast moving in. So, que bueno que everyone was out that night! Literally all our friends bar two were out which was great! Ahh tis good to be home (well...my second home in many ways).


Tuesday, 09:56, Bamboojam resturant, on the road to Manuel Ant Ahh salsa! I've missed it whilst we've been travelling. Every Tuesday and Friday they have a live Latino band that nearly always play salsa, merengue, bachatta and cumbia (occasional reggaton, reggae roots etc.). It's hot, very hot, generally very crowded but great if you want to dance and don't mind occasionally getting your toes trodden on. Good dancers too. Sometimes incredible ones! Very uplifted atmosphere and lots of fun. I don´t know what it is about dancing that makes me so very happy. Who needs drugs, I mean really? When I´m dancing, especially when I´m dancing well, I feel like I am absolutely flying. Weeee. I once read somewhere that dancing in particular releases a chemical in the brain that it addictive (in addition to the obvious serotonin and endorphin release). It doesn't surprise me. After all, exercise is addictive. Your body gets used to the increased levels of endorphin's and doesn't want to give it up. Quite useful too, as we would probably have more obesity if not. I do truly love dancing. Its like my therapy. Well, dance therapy at any rate.


No comments:

Post a Comment