Sunday 25 January 2015

Travelling round the world 101 - Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Thursday  – Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica 11.12am
Well Panama has been and gone, not that I saw a lot of it due to my weird illness. May well have been the malerials so I have stopped taking them. We didn´t even get to see the canal!! Shame, will have to save it for the next trip. My friend went however, and took photos for me so I can pretend in a way that I did. 

We crossed over the very rickety bridge that marked the border to Costa Rica yesterday and I do not think I have ever been so happy to arrive in a country. I love this pais with its rolling hills and lush vegetation. I think that Costa Rica will always have a place in my heart and I am happy to be back here, home. 


We set up camp at Rocking J´s hostel one of the coolest ones that I have been to so far. $5 for a hammock! Bargain. I love Puerto (literally óld port/harbour) everyone rides bikes here, reggae ragga dub and step pour from every corner and the pace of life is ever so gently slowed. Mind you, the bikes do not have breaks as I discovered when we hired them to cycle to this beach (Punta Uva) which is only a short 7/8km from the hostel. You have to pedal backwards to stop. Which takes some getting used. Especially given how ticos (slang for Costa Ricans) can drive over here...swinging from one side of the road to the other without warning. Ahh its all fun! As we arrived at Punta Uva a horde of large pastel blue crabs scurried away into their holes in the sand as we approached. The beach was idyllic, stretching on, a gentle curve into the horizon.


Wedesday – Costa Rica Backpackers, San Jose, 11.16pm
Very strange to be in high rise surroundings again. We had a wander round today, so many cars, faces of many nations, people rushing (weird!) Tomorrow we are to take the 3.45hr bus journey to Quepos ´city´ (in actual fact a small town) where I lived last year. Mixed feelings about going back but really looking forward to seeing it again and, of course, our friends. My Spanish always is greatly increased when surrounded by native speakers I know as you're not just having the same basic conversations. I force myself gladly.


Its now 11.28, my eyes are beginning to blur so I think I should hit the hay as one must be up early tomorrow

.................................................................................................................................................

Well at the end of my last post I was also in San Jose ready to make the familiar journey to good old Quepos/Manuel Antonio where I have now spent over 4 entire months of my life. This is where I left you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment